Thursday, June 10, 2010

Refinished Concrete Table Top

One long overdue project is finally finished!  I bought my dining table off of craigslist a couple of years ago for $75.  It wasn't really what I was looking for but it was just the right size for my space.  I had been looking for something forever so I decided this one could work at least until I found just the right thing.  It supposedly came from Pottery Barn.  The table has really worked out better than I had hoped.  It is the perfect size and the top is concrete - which is great for kids!  The bad thing is the previous owners had painted over the concrete.  I have no idea what would possess someone to do such a thing.  You really can't tell in pictures but the paint job was pretty poor (old pictures here).  The brush strokes were really bad and there were tons of chips.  I thought it would be a pretty easy job to strip and refinish the concrete.  Turns out I was way wrong!  It ended up being a major pain and took forever to get the surface smooth.  But now it is as smooth as can be and it coordinates with my entry tile.  Overall I'm really happy with it and I think I can live with it for as long as we live in this house.  
 

7 comments:

  1. Your patience paid off. I love how clean and modern the table top looks with the paint removed. Envious of your table, it looks perfect for crafting and dinner alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look great. While I love to paint some things, this table would not have been one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. My brother just started a business making concrete counters with an artsy flair.

    http://www.comoxvalleydwellings.com/2009/10/concrete-countertops-green-living/

    http://cfs.ezabu.com/2009/09/22/introducing-fusion-concrete-design/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have this table - am looking for a way to deep clean it. There is one area of the table that is darker than the rest due to us sitting there primarily - any suggestions on how to clean it? What did you use to strip the paint off? Did you reseal it afterward? I love this table too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Theresa - I'm sure there are better ways to clean your concrete than what I did! Mine was in such poor condition from the paint. I started out using a heat gun to get the paint off. That worked on the paint but left a residue from the original finish. Towards the end of the stripping my husband came in and started physically scraping the rest off. That took off the paint AND the gunk underneath but then the surface was left rougher than the rest. To get the rest of the gunk off and unify the surface I poured concrete etching solution over it and then scrubbed with steel wool. Took a lot of etching and scrubbing to get the old gunk off. Then I stained it and resealed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the exact same table - once you got it sanded smooth, what did you seal it with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just used some general purpose concrete sealer. I think it was Behr. I'm sure there is something better out there but that's what was handy at the hardware store!

    ReplyDelete